Visa Application: When can you be sponsored and what document do you need from your sponsor

Spread the love

You do not need a sponsor if you are self-employed unless the trip is in the interest of your sponsor.

If yu are employed, you also do not need a sponsor unless you are traveling on behalf of your company, or the trip is in the interest of any other person sponsoring you.

You need a sponsor if you are dependent of omeone and such person is the perfect sponsor.
Visa officers usually doubt if a non-dependent is being sponsored. In this case, you have to give reasons why someone else is paying for your trip.

Documents Needed From Your Sponsor

Letter of Sponsorship

This is a letter addressed to the embassy indicating your sponsor’s commitment to pay for your trip. The letter must state the relationship between the sponsor and the applicant, and why he/she intends paying for your trip.

If you are not sponsored by your parents, it’s advisable to indicate why they are not paying for your trip.

Any relations?

If you are related to your sponsor, you can include a document to confirm this relation. If you are sponsored by your parents or siblings, your birth certificate should be able to tell that indeed they are your parents or siblings. In case of your brothers or sisters, include their birth certificates as well. If you are being sponsored by your spouse, your marriage certificate will confirm your relation.

If you are being sponsored by your uncle, sometimes your birth certificate can do the magic if he shares the same surname with your parent.

Bank Statements

Bank Statements are needed; usually three to six months statements from licensed banks. Through embassies accept statements from rural banks and microfinances, it’s strongly advised that you don’t use them in your visa applications. The balance of the statement is also important.

Proof of employment and income

Funds in the bank starements must be defended with your sponsor’s source of income. If your sponsor is self-employed, business registration, invoices, tax clearance certificate and other any other document to prove a running business are required.

If your sponsor is a salary worker, then these documents would be needed rather as proof of employment and income:

  • Letter of introduction from employer
  • Appointment letter, if available
  • 3 to 6 months payslips

Any Investments?

If your sponsor has any fixed deposits or other investments, you can include them for the embassy to know how strong he/she is financially.

ID/Travel History

Include a copy of your sponsor’s ID. If your sponsor has a travel history, especially to the country yo are visiting, you can include copies of visas issued him/her.

Proof of remittances

If you are dependent of your sponsor, then you can add any proof of funds you’ve been receiving from him/her, if any. If your sponsor lives abroad, then definitely you have some Western Union or Moneygram receipts to include.

Traveling on behalf of a company?

If you are embarking on a business trip on behalf of a company, it means the trip is being sponsored by the company.

The company has to issue to you a letter of introduction and sponsorship indicating their commitment and interest in the trip. The company’s business registration documents, tax clearance and bank statements should be included in the application.

Though the company is sponsoring for your trip. you still have to include your personal bank statement and payslips which will indicate that you truly receive salaries from your employer

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *